My Goal

To get back into writing, I am working on this blog. I have missed writing for far too long, and will keep this updated. I will cover current events on the world's landscape. I may also publish some poetry and other nonfiction work from time to time.

Saturday, April 24, 2010

stories that warm the heart

I am currently doing some work for the St. Joseph Leader. Its a small, weekly paper in the Central Illinois area. One of the few weekly newspapers that is still left.

I have been given a story to work on dealing with the Oakland community.

Although I like investigative journalism as much as anyone else, this is one that comes straight from the heart.

The local American Legion is asking for names of active duty soldiers to put on street signs.

Many wouldn't see this as any sort of ground-breaking story. I, however, love stories like this. Stories that have any kind of feature angle that make one feel good. Reporting on all the bad stuff is good and necessary. However, it is nice to have a story to tell that doesn't involve someone being victimized by another.

I understand the reason for writing the stories that have been deemed 'gotcha journalism.' I am a huge fan of those stories for their own merit. Many times something is exposed that the general public has a need to know about.

Those are the stories that I, one day, hope I can help uncover.

Right now though, I will take my feel good pieces. They help me remember that, in all the stress of daily life, good still exists in the world. Sometimes this can be hard to remember.

What type of news do you prefer to hear about?

No comments:

Post a Comment