My Goal

To get back into writing, I am working on this blog. I have missed writing for far too long, and will keep this updated. I will cover current events on the world's landscape. I may also publish some poetry and other nonfiction work from time to time.

Monday, April 19, 2010

The loveliness of the language

I don't characterize myself to know everything about grammar.

I'm sure plenty know more than me about spelling and grammar combined.

However, it is amazing how proper grammar hits my ear just right.

Our society hasn't deemed it important to know grammar. Our importance is with knowing who has most recently updated their twitter pages. Also, the shortest way to get the point across through a text message. The days of letter writing seem to be long gone.

It appears, at some point, our society has lost a grip on grammar.

I can illustrate this fact with a recent job I took on. A friend of mine recently sent me a short story that she wrote. She was simply looking for content feedback. Plus, she wanted someone else, that she trusted, to read it.

After not being that long into reading it, I knew I would take on a greater job. I decided to edit it. This was a two-part decision. First, I figured it would be something that she would really love. Next, I figured I could brush up on my editing skills that had lied dormant for a little while.

I would, in no way, shape or form, characterize my friend as unintelligent. She graduated from college with honors. She also has a wealth of 'street smarts.' I'm not sure at what point or why, but grammar was never a high importance.

In my experience, it would seem she is in the majority.

I find this odd, simply for the fact that basic communication skills are a way of survival. I also find it odd, that some common misspellings aren't always noticed by everyone. It is as though we've gotten used to them.

I, personally, aim to be as correct as I can with my grammar and spelling. By no means am I perfect. I just want to emphasize this in my daily life.

As for editing her story? It drew an odd sense of purpose and passion from me. I truly loved editing it. The content was pretty good at keeping my focus, though. I'm not sure if that made it easier to edit or not. Nonetheless, I enjoyed editing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment